Wednesday 25 March 2009

Fruit and Nut Loaf & Lychee Butter Cake




I was pretty stressed up at work yesterday and decided to take my mind off things. Out of so many recipes that I have marked to try I decided on these 2, a fruit and nut loaf for those who crave for a burst of flavour and a lychee butter cake. The fruit and nut loaf is made out of a cinnamon batter filled with chopped apricots, prunes, raisins and walnuts. The recipe did call for walnuts but I had some pecans at hand so I just replaced it. Brilliant! this loaf cake was brilliant! moist and full of flavour. The texture, interesting, its crumb is not as soft as that of a butter cake, but sits well in the mouth. Love this.

When I was growing up in Ipoh, we use to have a fresh cream ( it was the rage then! thank goodness we had progressed from the disgusting oily icing)Lychee cake. It was light and fresh. Moving away from fresh cream, people becoming more health conscious are making a pass on the cream and more on the substance. This cake is interesting, light pink lychee flesh peaking through the butter cake. I think if you are looking for something different, this could be it. Will be fiddling more with this recipe. I have ideas.....

No comments: